Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Finished!!! The Diary Quilt.....

I am super excited to reveal the finished, quilted, totally amazingly DONE Diary Quilt, my longest-running project ever.

I started the blocks for this quilt way way way back in 2010, when I very first started quilting. These were the first blocks I worked on, after the infamous "first block ever" that I made for a friend, the same dear friend who did the custom quilting on this for me.

As I made my way through the blocks, I interrupted myself with all the other projects you see on the blog -- a quilt for each of my three boys, and for my husband. A baby quilt for a new niece. Lap quilts for my mom and sister, and for ourselves. A wall hanging for my grandparents, based on their blocks from this quilt, my Diary Quilt. And in between all of the interruptions, I kept working on the Diary Quilt, adding setting triangles to the blocks so I could turn them on point; finally I got them into rows, finished the top, and on an August 2013 visit to the US, I mailed it off to my dear, dear friend (and professional long arm quilter) for her to custom quilt for me.

I knew I was nowhere near the skill level for what I desired for this quilt, and I knew she would do an amazing job. She did. It's done. Home. Back to me. Finished, and on my bed, just as I envisioned it from day one.

All I can really say is Wow! Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!

I had seen a few sneak peeks from my quilter.....





...but that didn't stop the tears from flowing when I opened the box and saw my quilt all done for the first time...


...and again when I saw it on the bed, like it was just meant to be there all along.....



The view of the back is even more stunning, as you can really see all that beautiful quilting. Amazing!!! Thanks again, "Mrs. So & So" -- makes me cry all over again writing this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment