Friday, June 21, 2013

Top Third Completed! The Super Mario Quilt is on its way!

I am so glad I thought to segment this quilt into sections (not sure what I'm talking about? click on the "Super Mario Quilt" link/tab below this post and read up on previous posts....) rather than do straight rows across as I usually would. Being able to see recognizable portions of the picture come together is so much more encouraging than just row after row after row of colored blocks!

The section with the brown square, known as an Item Block, was first. Didn't look like much until I added the little black rivets or detail bits, per my 8 year old's instructions, but once that was added, it looked like what he wanted.
just the Item Block (except I held it sideways, so the photo is sideways to make the quilt section right side up!)

Next was the section with Mario's face.  As just a set of blocks, it was a bit boring. I had my son pull up on-line images showing me the facial features we needed to add -- as this is a side view, we added one eye, his nose, his mustache, and half the white circle & half the red M on the hat.  My son said we could skip the sideburns and ear.

Mario's face, hat & one arm in a sky background -- the Before
Look! Mario has a face now!  -- the After
joined the Item Block section to the Mario Face section
Before I added the appliqued coins
Then I appliqued on the coins floating in the air. Again, pulled up a picture and my boy explained that I had to include the black, not blue, shadow behind the coin. So I drew that out, cut it from the yellow fabric he chose from my stash, and glued then sewed down the coins. Whew! What a difference they make!

cut & glued in place, waiting to be sewn down
I used a machine super-tight zig zag applique
don't those coins look good floating there?! 
Next, time to work on the body section.....sure is fun watching this come together, especially as a collaboration with my youngest son! So fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment